Today is clean out your refrigerator day. When you think of what is inside your refrigerator; it is probably something that you don’t want to think about. So, today is a good day to tackle this task.
Clean Out Your Refrigerator
Of course, no one wants to find food that has gone bad. Or, you may find something leftover that you completely forgot about. If you’re ready to begin cleaning today; there are a few things that can help this task go quickly.
- First, remove everything from each shelf.
- Next, place everything on your counter top.
- Now that you have everything removed, wipe down each shelf. At the same time, make sure you rinse each shelf and storage area. Be sure to visit my Easy Spring Cleaning Ideas 2019 post for some tips on products to use that will have your refrigerator sparkle and smell fresh.
- Be sure to check for expiration dates on any food or beverages that may have expired.
- Also, if you have a few open jars of the same type of items; now is a great time to consolidate these items to save space.
When it comes to food safety; it is important to check food and beverage items regularly. Indeed, no one wants to have a foul odor or get sick from food that has gone bad.
After You have Cleaned your Refrigerator
Once you have cleaned out your refrigerator; you may want to change things so you can avoid doing this next year. For instance, you should consider doing the following:
- First, start by creating labels.
- Second, add a date to your label.
- Finally, add a small bag of baking soda to control nasty odors.
Another great idea for storing food is to have a check-list. For example, keep a sheet of paper listing when you made or stored something. By doing this, you’re cutting down on any bacterial growth or someone getting food poisoning.
As always, I welcome your comments on how you clean out your refrigerator.