Since March is national nutrition month, today’s post focuses on making smart food choices. Because the focus is about making sound eating decisions, it is also important to also focus on physical activity.
National Nutrition Month
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has deemed March the month to learn about the best food options. By the same token, the Academy is the largest organization of food and nutritional professionals. Additionally, the organization represents:
- Dietetic professionals
- Nutrition technicians
In addition, this group was founded by a group of Women in 1917, led by Lenna F. Cooper. Also, their focus was to help the government consume food and improve health during World War 1. As the group expanded, they changed their name in 2012 to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
This Organization’s primary focus is to help commit people to leading healthier lifestyles.
2017 Put your Best Foot Forward
So 2017’s theme is to put your best foot forward. The theme is a dedication to remind you that each bite counts. When making smart choices to our food, we can see the changes to our body. Whether you’re eating at home or dining out, try to make better choices.
National Nutrition Tips
If you want to make some better choices to your eating style, the following tips can help you.
- Change your food consumption. When you’re conscious of portion size, you will see a change in your weight.
- Purchase healthy food.
- Learn new healthy flavorful recipes.
- Cook at home more.
- When dining out, try to split an entrée. Also, you may want to consider ordering fish or a vegetable selection.
- Participate in physical activities.
National Nutrition Celebration Month
In the first place, if you want to get involved in National Nutrition Month you may want to try the following:
- Conduct a cooking class with nutritional tips.
- Participate in a cooking demonstration.
- Organize a food donation drive. For more on this, visit my prior post on coordinating a food donation drive.
- Read a book on nutrition and dietary recommendations.
- In addition, plan a family pot luck night to try some new recipes.
- Commit to new fruit and vegetables this month.
Next time you’re at a grocery store, spend more time in the produce and fruit aisle. Also, if you have kids, teach them about healthy snacks. By being pro-active in making smart food choices, you and your family will benefit. Good health is important.
In conclusion, get involved in National Nutrition Celebration month. I look forward to you sharing anything you do differently this month.